THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Monday, February 9, 2009

Approaching Fast

Today I am angry, sad, heartbroken, bitter, alive.


I am having a very hard time knowing that Eden's first birthday will be here at the end of the month.  I didn't think the entire month of February would be so difficult and emotionally draining for me, but I was wrong.  I am so nostalgic lately thinking about these days one short year ago leading up to her birth.  I was so frightened, nervous, excited and prepared.  I just knew that Eden was going to be very special and that she was going to change our family, but I did not know, nor did anyone, that she would be called home so very early.  Today I feel cheated! Cheated out of raising our third daughter, cheated out of my girls having a baby at home to love, cuddle and kiss, cheated out of a mother's duties with her newborn.  Cheated out of being able to breast feed my baby, I LOVE breast feeding!   The ironic thing is that I have two beautiful, healthy, thriving daughters at home that make me so happy, but still I am incomplete and my arms are empty.  I often wonder if I can really miss her since I did not even know her that well, but I think a mother knows her baby very intimately long before they are born.  Although it does me no good at all and I know it, I still lay awake at night wondering what could/would/should have been.  What would she be doing right now?  Who would she look like?  Would she have blonde or red hair?  and freckles?  Then I think of doing this all over again, having another baby.  Am I really crazy?  Would the Lord truly let something this tragic happen again to me, to our family?  All questions I can not answer and I am one who does not like unanswered questions.  I am not in charge, I know.  The Lord loves me, I know.  He has a plan for Eden and our family, I know.  Right now though, this knowledge does not ease the pain, the grief or the hurt.  Grief is ugly, downright hideous and so are the feeling that accompany it.  Even in my darkest hour, I would do it all over again if it meant having Eden as my daughter, as a member of our family. 

The Dash
copyright 1996 Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
from the beginning...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth...
and now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own;
the cars....the house...the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard...
are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what's true and real,
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we've never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
and more often wear a smile...
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read
with your life's actions to rehash...
would you be proud of the things they
say about how you spend your dash?


Eden is a very real dash in our family, no matter how small and short it was.  How thankful I am for that dash and what it means to me.  As her special day approaches, I will be sad, I will cry and I will mourn.  But, I will also rejoice in knowing that my Heavenly Father entrusted me with a special baby whose dash has changed me forever.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keisa,
I have never commented before, but I feel very strongly about leaving something today. You don't know me very well, I am in the ward. I just want you know your Eden's dash changed my life and how you handled yourself was amazing to me. I know there's nothing we can do to take away your hurt or pain, but I can let you know Eden lefted a footprint on my heart that has changed me forever! Thanks for sharing her.

Kami Milliron said...

Yesterday was one month since we gave birth to our Stillborn, Elizabeth. I have felt these same emotions since she passed away. When I am with my Family members and Friends who have more than one Child, I just want to stand up and scream that I have two kids too. I went through pregnancy and labor twice. And now here I am, left to lose the weight I gained while pregnant. It sucks because every time I look in the mirror and think I look like a cow, it is a reminder that I WAS pregnant. I DID have a beautiful little Girl. She is just gone for now.

I am so sorry this month is such a hard one for you. I pray that the Lord will wrap his arms around you and bless you with the comfort you need.

Janet said...

Keisa,
I too have never commented on your blog before but I wanted to let you know how amazing I think you and Marcus are. Your strength is inspiring to me. And so is your honesty. I never met Eden but she is an example to me. I admire you in so many ways.

Em said...

I wish I could take away the pain Keisa. I hate that mothers have to experience the heartache of the loss of a child. I am a weird statistic. I remember the perinatologist telling us that we were about 1 in a million to gave our first and econd have such severe birth defects. I do not know if we will have to say goodbye to another child. What I do know is that I can get through it. It would hurt that much more, but it is better to have lived and loved then to have lived and not loved, and not have to know the pain of saying goodbye to someone you love so much, and is a literal part of you. Anyways, I think the time leading up to the birthday is very hard, but it seems like the actual day isn't as bad. Then there is the time up to the first angel day. That time can be hard too, but it is bitter-sweet thinking "oh, last year this time I was holding my sweet angel", etc. And soon enough, you will discover that it has been nearly three years, than four, and so on. Hang in there Keisa. Even though we have never met, we share a sisterhood.
Heart hugs,
Emily

Teresa said...

I'm sorry you're in pain. And yes, the birthday month, week, etc. STINKS. It still does for me, anyway. I usually celebrate my daughters birthday with a pitty party for myself. Anyway, just know you're completely normal, okay. And it sounds like we need to have a park date with the kids sometime and just talk.

Heidi Ann said...

Oh Keisa, wouldn't it be nice to just fast forward all the firsts?? I think of you often as her first b-day nears. It's so crappy! Why do we rub things in our own face, the could/should have been.

We'd love to see you on Firday but BSG is at our house, unfortunately. If you decide to ditch your hot ward party Saturday let us know!

Greg and Heidi said...

Keisa-
That was a perfect post! I am sorry for your pain. I am going through all sorts of emotions as I approach next week. That's when our dash will begin. You are wonderful.
Heidi Skidmore

Karen said...

Keisa, I've been thinking about you this month and knew it would be a tough one for you. I wish I had some words of comfort or wisdom to give you, but all I can do is offer my love and prayers. So sorry you have to go through this pain.

Heidi Ann said...

Thank you for your yummy bread, home made bread toast is one of my favorites! Chris really enjoyed his time with Marcus, he loves Marcus. I'm greatful Chris has somebody he trusts and can chat with. There's no judging, no trying to understand just common ground. We love you two. I wish I could fast forward this month for you, skip her firsts. We are here whenever you need to scream!