THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, April 27, 2009

Not the Results I Wanted

Well, today was the first of many tests with this pregnancy.  The fact that I have had a child with "issues" combined with my "advanced maternal age" (34), I am now labeled high risk.  With that comes a series of tests, which I was sort of looking forward to because with each test coming back normal I could breath a sigh of relief.  Today I elected to do a test called a First Trimester Screening.  This test will give your risk for carrying a child with Down syndrome, Trisomy 13 or Trisomy 18 with over 90% accuracy.  It includes blood work along with an ultrasound.  I remember this test very well with Eden as this is the test that gave us our 1 in 38 risk of her having Down syndrome.  I remember how I sobbed after receiving the phone call from my OB.  I was worried, paranoid, angry and confused.  Don't get me wrong, I would NEVER change a thing about Eden or how many chromosomes she had, but that is not to say that it was easy for me to comes to terms with or that I want to do it all over again.  Personally I don't think any mother would, we all want happy, healthy, perfect, normal children for that is what the majority of women have.  The doctor came in today after the test with the phrase I didn't want to hear "We have good and bad news!"  The good news is that the baby's risk for have Trisomy 13 or 18 is so low it's almost non-existent.  This is great since these two defects are not compatible with life.  However, my risk for this baby having Down syndrome is 1 in 284, which is considered "increased risk."  You might be thinking that is a great number and you are right I probably have nothing to worry about.  BUT, I did not want to be in the high risk group at all.  I just wanted to avoid it altogether.  Oh well, this is how the cards play out for me and my anything but routine pregnancies.  We will continue with more tests, ultrasounds and fetal echocardiograms as the baby grows and pray for the best.  I do have faith that the Lord has a plan for our family and I also have hope that everything will be just perfect.  I guess if I did not I wouldn't have done it again.  Right now I am just thankful that I have yet another photo of the growing life inside me, it truly is a miracle to see how intricate a baby is at only 12 weeks. Heavenly Father does some amazing work!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I follow your blog.

I am also pregnant right now and had that first trimester screening.After the somewhat elevated odds I then went back for the Level II and was told my child had two markers for Downs. While I was shocked by the news, I am grateful that it is not a definite answer and I know Heavenly Father has a reason behind sending me another high risk/ special needs child.

You are in my prayers!

Em said...

If it makes any difference, we had screening with our daughter (who had a brain abnormality called holoprosencephaly) and where there were supposed to be markers there were not any. My Mom also had high marker when she carried my youngest sister (she was 36 at the time) and she is perfectly healthy (except and annoying and obnoxious teenager!) You just never know. It is hard to not worry (I about drove myself nuts when I was pregnant with Ryker expecting everything to go wrong.) Everyone wants a normal pregnancy and outcome (and I do not personally feel any Mom should have to lose one child, let alone any more) but I know that if you are called to have another special child, that that baby could not ask for more loving parents. I pray all will be well and go well. You deserve it Keisa!
Hugs,
Emily

The Simmons Family said...

Oh Keisa... I know it's frustrating! We're praying that you have a healthy baby this time around!! You're in amazing physical condition... you'd think that would account for something! Either way, this little one is one lucky baby!!

The B Family said...

Precious friend~ I am so sorry to hear that you had to receive some not so great news. After all we've been through, you just want an easy pregnancy, don't you? I know I do...especially thinking that I wouldn't have to get another fetal echo done. But, that doesn't seem to be the plan for either of us...yet. I just keep in mind that regardless of what we are given...we are thankful! We have been blessed with another precious gift and whether I get to hold this little boy for 2 months or a hundred years I will be thankful for every single day. I will be praying for your peace, too. It's so difficult and the "medical" side of things really takes away from the true joy that is given.
Praying for a healthy baby that will be able to spend many, many years with your beautiful family!

Blessings~ Rebecca

The Mason Family said...

Oh Keisa...Praying that further tests show that the baby is completely healthy...you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen said...

We're praying hard for you, Keisa & Marcus! Keep up the faith and know that we're here if you need anything.

Our Family said...

Hey Keisa!

I just wanted to let you know that you and that sweet baby in your belly are in my prayers. I know it was not the result you wanted, but I know that no matter what, you guys are blessed with a beautiful and sweet gift! You know that I have been where you are (with a scary prenatal diagnosis after losing an angel), but I have confidence that you guys will "run" through this with flying colors and will welcome a perfect gift. Take care of yourself and PLEASE e-mail me if you need to talk! thomas.haberman@att.net
Bernie

Tiger said...

Just wanted to give you a hug across town. Everything will be OK, no matter what.