THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Paper Doll

Here are the words to a favorite bedtime song in our house:


I'm gonna buy a paper doll that I can call my own,
one that other fellows can not steal,
and then those flirty, flirty guys
with their flirty, flirty eyes
 will have to flirt with dollies that are real,
when I get home at night there she'll be waiting
she'll be the sweetest doll in all the world,
I'm gonna buy a paper doll that I can call my own
instead of have a real, live girl.

As I was putting the girls to bed the other night they asked that I sing this song to them.  Ainsley likes the song, but Emerson absolutely LOVES it.  I find her rocking her dolls sometimes and singing it to them.  I struck me at that moment that the only reasons I sing this song to them is because my mom used to sing it to me every night when I was a child.  When I asked her where she had heard it she said, my mom sang it to me when I was a girl.  I have no idea where this song originated or how long the mommies in our family have been singing it to their daughters, but it brings back such great memories of my childhood.  I wonder if my girls will sing it to their daughters one day and keep the song alive?  It's little moments like this that make me so thankful to be a mother even though it can be so challenging.  I can honestly say it is the hardest thing I have ever done, but by far the most rewarding as well.  I attribute it all to my own mother for she was the very best mother and friend a girl could have.  I always knew my limits and what was expected of me, and those expectations were high, but I NEVER doubted that she loved me more than anything in this world.  Thanks mom, I love you and thanks for singing me "paper doll, it is still one of my preferred songs!"

The days come and the days go and despite our challenges we are blessed.  Ainsley asked to go visit Eden in the "tunnels" so we will be making a trip to the cemetery tomorrow  or Friday.Each of the girls picked out a small mylar balloon to stick in the ground at her grave that says "I Love You."  She forgot the word cemetery so she explained it as "you know, where she lives in the tunnels." It is also time for us to get working on her gravestone as it  really bothers Ainsley that no one knows she is there.  She told me the other day that she is afraid we won't be able to find her without it marked.  I assured her that although the grass is growing in on her  grave, we will always know where she is and we will have a marker soon.  It's just so hard deciding what it should say as we want it to be perfect to honor her.  We love  you Eden.

8 comments:

Teresa said...

Keisa, as for the marker, what to say on it will come to you somehow and you'll just know it's right -- that's how our experience was anyway. Remind me sometime and I'll share it with you. But before that we walked the cemetery alot and looked at different types of markers and types of granite -- who knew there were so many choices to make. But now, 10 years later, we still love to walk different cemeteries at different locations -- they're just fasinating. Our favorite is the SLC cemetery where a lot of the Prophets and other church leaders are buried -- it's lovely seeing what's written on their headstones. Okay, enough rambling. Our thoughts are still with your family.

Bunker Family said...

Keisa,
I had never heard that song before so I did some googling and it was written by Johnny S. Black in 1915 and recorded by the Mills Bothers in 1942.

I have some friends that lost their son a couple of years ago and they too had a hard time deciding what to put on the headstone, but as Teresa said - one day it just came to them. I am sure whatever you put will be a great tribute to Eden. We still think of her often and pray for your family. Hang in there!

Angel said...

Hi Keisa-
I can't imagine what a difficult decision the marker is, but I think your last four words of your last entry were perfect... We love you Eden, because we all love her for everything she was and everything she taught us about ourselves. Sometimes it's the simplest of words that mean the most. (That is coming from an English teacher!) Know that I think of you each day and you continue to be in my prayers. Love, Angel

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

A grave marker is a very difficult decision to make. We also struggled to choose the right thing to say and display. Teresa is right, I wish we would have scanned the cemetary to get ideas. It might have made it easier to decide. City of Mesa cemetary where our Angela is buried has a section of little babies in it. Besides the temple it is one of the most peaceful places I have ever been to.

everything petersen said...

I have never heard the paper doll song. I wish I knew the tune! One thing I loved my mom to do was wake me up on my b-day singing any and every b-day song.

Thank you for commenting on my blog, it puts a smile on my face! Know that I think of you often, we love you!
Love Bonnie

The Simmons Family said...

Ok... now you're going to have to videotape yourself singing the paper doll song and post it because I can't figure out the tune. Or better yet... get Emerson to sing it for you!!

I can't imagine having to pick out the perfect words for a headstone...like everyone else said... it'll come to you!

Andrea

Keiauni said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, keis.
I too have not heard the paper doll song. That is such a special thing to have passed down for at least 3 generations!

I'm sure that you will find the perfect words for Eden. It breaks my heart to hear about how badly her sisters miss her. The things that they say, and the thoughts that they have are so precious.
(((HUGS)))

keiauni

C and T Orvin said...

Wow! I haven't ever heard that song before...way cute though! :)
Ya know - I didn't know what to put on my mom's tombstone...and the time came when I had to go on a specific day...I walked into the place not having a clue and then all of a sudden it hit me. I knew right then what I wanted it to say and it was something that was just between her and me. I walked out of there feeling great...knowing that I had made the right choice. You will know when the time comes. Try not to stress too much about it. Maybe you could put something about your little song on there. I did a foot stone as well. I ended up having more than enough to say :) Good Luck - Tiff