THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, May 23, 2008

A Harsh Reality

Eden finally came back from her cath after almost 4 hours!


We were amazed at how long it took to do her cardiac cath, but grateful that she is back and stable for the moment.  I wish I could tell everyone that Eden is doing better and that her cath went great, but unfortunately I can not.  Eden has been getting more and more sick the last couple of days.  They have increased all of her medications, her ventilator settings and her diuretics and she is just not responding.  She is also still retaining so much fluid that she looks like the dough boy.  Her catheter did reveal some interesting finding though.  I will mention the good things first.  They found out that her left ventricle is a good size and will try to keep it with her next surgery.  They also found out that the band they placed on her pulmonary artery during her first surgery still looks good and it's not really her heart causing her lung issues.  The dangerous news is that they discovered another narrowed section of her aorta.  This piece is where the aorta comes off the heart and is causing a very high pressure gradient in her heart and lungs.  All of her doctors say this explains exactly why she is so sick and can not get any better.  The very perplexing and mysterious thing is that this has never presented itself before now.  She has had other caths and so many x-rays and echocardiograms (ultrasounds) of her heart and they have never once seen it.  They also do not know how it happened or what could cause it.  bottom line is that the diameter of her aorta in that sections should be around 6 mms and hers is barely 4 mms.  This will have to be fixed surgically by patching that piece of aorta to make it larger.  This surgery is very risky as it is not done that often and mixed with her other problems, not good.  Her team of surgeons, yes they think that it will take all three of them to work on her at once, will have to repair her aorta, patch and close the two large holes in the middle of her heart and repair her mitral valve all in the same procedure.  Hence we go from high risk to EXTREMELY high risk.  They are also worried about how she will handle the operation because of her very sick lungs.  Waiting is not an option as she is getting worse so they said it will be in 7 to 10 days max.  The entire team of cardiologists and surgeons will meet again in Tuesday morning to discuss exactly when to schedule her.  At that point it is all in the Lord's hands.  I know that Eden is so strong and has proven to be such a fighter.  I pray that she has more left in her "reserves" that will amaze everyone.  I do believe in miracles and if anyone is deserving of one, it's my little hero Eden!  I have chosen not to post any recent photos as they are a little hard to look at.  Her hair is getting lighter and is not dark brown any more, it's more of a beautiful strawberry blonde.

I thank you all for your love, support and prayers.  I ask that you please pray for Eden this upcoming week that she will be strong.  Even if you do not pray for yourself, please pray for her that her surgeons will be guided as they work on her and that she can withstand the procedure.  We feel so blessed despite this trial and are forever thankful for wonderful families and friends. 

11 comments:

Lauri St.Pierre said...

We WILL be praying for little Eden. Also, for your entire family.
With love, Lauri St.Pierre

Holly said...

We will continue to pray for Eden and your family and also the doctors. She is such a strong baby. I am sure she will fight as hard as she can. Call again if you need some help.

The Simmons Family said...

WOW... that's a lot to take in. I thought about you all day yesterday knowing that Eden was in the cath lab. The news about the aorta is extremely scary but I'm sure there is some comfort in knowing she will have three sets of experienced hands working on her. Not only that, but she has Heavenly Father watching over her as well!! We will continue to pray for Eden everyday! So far Eden has proven to be a tough little gal!

If we're down in the area, which I'm sure we will be, I'll stop in and say hi to sweet Eden.

WheresMyAngels said...

My heart goes out to you. You all and Eden has been thru so much. I'm constantly praying for her and your family. Prayers for a healing!

Diana said...

We are praying for little Eden and your entire family. We think of you often and know that our Heavenly Father will bless you with comfort and peace at this most difficult time. If we can do anything to help please call and let us know.

JoLynn Anderson said...

Our family continues to follow Eden's progress through your blog. We'll keep you ALL in our prayers.
Dave & JoLynn Anderson family

Sandie said...

We love and pray for you! Your's and Eden's strength is an example to all of us and we know that Heavenly Father is so gracious and giving that He will continue to bless you with more as you go through this trying time.
Love, Del and Sandie

Susy said...

You're always in our thoughts and prayers Keis...I know Heavenly Father will continue taking care of you.

I'm getting so excited to meet your girls this week. Lexi will have so much fun playing with them.

Keiauni said...

All my prayers and Love to you, and your girls. I will keep a prayer in my heart at all times for little Eden.

(((HUGS)))

Reedy Family said...

We will continue to pray for Eden and her doctors. Eden is such a little fighter, I already love her so much. I know she can fight her way through this. Our prayers are with your family.
Love, Summer and Kam

Unknown said...

I keep trying to send you my comments but, I can't seem to get them through. I am not to savy with the blogger thing. I just want to let you know that I have been praying for Eden and your family very much, ever since she was born. I will continue to do so. Love you, Aunt Marva