We took a little get away to the Grand Canyon
Marcus and I spent two days at the beginning of this week at the Grand Canyon. It was an absolutely wonderful trip and as you can see by the snow, a lovely change in weather. The snow was a complete surprise and an AZ raised girl was in heaven since I have only seen fresh fallen snow a hand full of times, never in May. Marcus and I took the opportunity while there to hike. We absolutely LOVE hiking so it was fabulous. Marcus took a young man who is about to leave on a mission for our church with him to do a 50 mile rim to rim to rim hike. They did excellent and finished in 16.5 hours. Believe me, this is fantastic. I slept in a little and did a 15 mile hike to the Colorado River and back with time left for a nap! The funniest part was that we were all in shorts, which surprisingly wasn't that cold and I even got myself an ice cream after. That got me a ton of looks! As often as I get to the canyon, I never tire of it's beauty and splendor. It is truly amazing.
Now for my news on my little Eden. She is still puffy (when will it ever go down fully?). They say some babies just hold onto their fluid for a long time, that is our Eden. She is up to 20cc's an hour of 20 calorie formula. They tried to increase the calories per serving of her formula yesterday and she did not handle it well at all. Her belly got very distended and she spiked a fever so they went back down. They really would like to get her calories per serving up so they don't have to supplement her with lipids (a form of fats) through IV. It just might not happen though as she has trouble any time they do this. She has stayed the same with her ventilator settings and we are now beginning the talks about a trach. She is going to have another cardiac cath done next Friday to check her heart function and after that her doctors will decide when they need to do her next surgery, which one they will do, and when to do the trach. If she has to have surgery right away, they will wait and trach her after. However, if surgery can wait another 4-5 weeks, they will do the trach now so it can heal before surgery. I don't think any parent wants to talk about putting a trach in their baby, but we are told by all of her care givers that it will be better for her. It is easier to manage, it is a stable airway, whereas a vent tube is not, her mouth and face are free for a binky or whatever and it is much more comfortable for her. It would only be in as long as needed and in the long run it does not affect her vocal chords or any thing. The best thing is that she can come home (when that day comes) on a trach. I hated the idea at first, but the more I talk about it I like it. I hate to see her so uncomfortable and if she would like this better, I have to do it for her. From now until next Friday is going to be just a holding time until the cath is complete.
Marcus and I are so thankful for all of you. I say this all the time, but I can't express my thanks enough. Believe it or not, I have not cooked a meal in 11 weeks. The wonderful friends from our ward at church have brought a delicious, hot dinner every night. Your loving service continues to touch and uplift me. I only hope I can be such an example of true service. Thank you!
6 comments:
The pictures of the Grand Canyon are besutiful!! Good for you to take a mini vacation. I am completely impressed by your hiking skills, I can only go about 5 miles and then I'm done for a week. I will say extra prayers that everything goes good in the cath lab and you will have some answers and a game plan. The trach sounds scary, but you'll do fine with it...and maybe she'll be able to come home sooner!! :)
Do you remember when we all went to the grand canyon and your dad had us running to earn an ice cream? Those were fun days, I always had so much fun with you and Mekell.
Also Keisa you are a wonderful Mother. I think of Eden daily, what a strong girl.
What a wonderful trip. I wish that our ward had done that. I did not cook a meal for a very long time, and since neither my husband or I had the heart to cook, we usually would just eat out. It does set the bar high to serve those around you more often and just meet the need. My husband's twin's little girl also has an HLHS heart and so it will be good opportunity for us to find ways to better serve them. I hope they figure things out!
Heart hugs,
Emily
What a fun trip you had. I am glad you enjoyed the snow... if I had woke up to it I would not be happy to say the least. I hope the Doctors are able to figure out the best thing for Eden. She is always in our prayers. I shouldnt be going out of town anytime soon so please call me again to watch the girls when you need.
Glad you got a nice get away! Wow, I didn't even know it snowed there!! lol I haven't been to the Canyon since I was little but did make it to Lake Powell about 3 years ago.
Continued prayers for your daughter.
Glad to hear that you two enjoyed your little get away. You 2 needed just you time...
As for lil Eden... the trach sounds evasive but if it makes her more comfortable then I guess you have no choice...right?! She will hopefully respond well to it for both of your sakes. Need anything...just call - Tiff
Post a Comment