Before I update about Eden, I have to share an experience.
All I can say is that yesterday was a very difficult day for me, not just with Eden but other things. I was trying to draw water from a well that was completely dry. I just felt physically, emotionally and spiritually exhausted. Our health insurance has a $1.5 million dollar per person lifetime payout. For you and me, that is more than we will ever use. However, Eden is fast approaching her limit and at that point, what do I do? I have not received much help from the social workers at the hospital so I have been researching our options myself. Since Eden has Down syndrome, she qualifies for Arizona Long Term Care Services (ALTCS), which will cover all of her medical expenses for life. The catch is that they do not cover acute care situations, which is exactly Eden's case. ALTCS will take effect the day she is discharged, but what do we do from the time our insurance runs out and she comes home? If my calculations are correct, she will reach her lifetime payout by the middle of July. People keep telling me to apply for AHCCCS, health insurance for the low-income. The catch again is that to qualify, your income has to be below the poverty level. We are blessed that Marcus makes a good income, but who on earth can afford $350,000.00 per month in medical bills? Our only hope is that they will factor down our income with our medical bills so Eden can qualify. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed and by evening I had a horrible headache. The doorbell rang just before I put the girls to bed and when I answered it, it was a friend from church who handed me a card and said "just thinking of you." I immediately opened the card to find beautiful uplifting words along with some cash. The card said that with gas prices and going to the hospital so often, they thought it might help. WOW!!!! That was one of the most powerful examples of the Lord's love for us that I have ever seen. I was so touched that it brought me to tears and I instantly said a little prayer to thank my Heavenly Father for loving me and letting me know that He has not left us alone. I am also so grateful that this sweet family listened to and acted on a feeling/prompting to serve us.
We are one week post-op and Eden has done well. She is still off of the epinephrine and holding her blood pressures okay, except for when they mess with her. She is very feisty and does not like being bothered AT ALL! She voices her protests by letting her stats become unstable for a moment or two and then she settles down and all is well again. I think it's her way of throwing tantrums, which I guess she is entitled to at this point. She is also off of the pace maker and her heart is pacing itself nicely. Dr. Pearl took her to the OR this morning to close her sternum so she is recovering right now. It can be stressful for them when the pressure of having it closed hits. Like I said before, it's like putting on a tight pair of jeans for the first time, uncomfortable but you eventually get used to it. Eden's sternum is closed, but now her skin is still open because she needs the plastic surgeon to insert more muscle flaps. As you might recall, she had to have pectoral muscle flaps placed over her sternum after her sternal infection. The infection caused part of the sternum and rib bones to be very weak and almost non-existent so her plastic surgeon is going to place muscle flaps over her entire sternum to hold the bone in place. The bone will eventually grow back, it will just take time. I don't kid myself anymore, I know that Eden is not going to have a nice, smooth scar, it is going to be rather uneven and gnarly. I really don't mind though because it is all part of her journey and what makes her so special to me. I will update all about how the plastic surgery goes tomorrow. Our big hope and prayer right now, among other things, is that once she is closed she can avoid any and all infections and just work on getting better. She deserves a smooth go around this time.
11 comments:
Wonderful to see that she is handling everything well. Thinking of you guys always...
those moments where we know Heavenly Father is ever watching over and helping us are so wonderful. and they always come right when we need them most. i'm so glad that you were able to have that moment. and i sure hope that everything gets worked out with your insurance and financial stress. that can be so awful and stressful. I'll continue to pray that heavenly Father opens a door somewhere to take that burden off your shoulders.
I"m glad that Eden seems to be recovering as best as can be hoped. And I'll pray that it only gets better and easier for her and your family everyday.
love the andersens
Funny this is I have wanted to help you in some way too, but I am here in Switzerland at the moment and the second thing is I thought you might freak out if I tried to track you down. There have to be foundations out there that can help you. I am just sorry that the social workers are not doing there jobs to help you navigate through all of this. You should post this question out on the Heart Heros blog to see what the others might know. If you do not have a link to this site you can go to my blog and there is a link. Also, I know that a fund might be able to be created where people can donate to help you. I think the fund that is established through a bank is protected against taxing though I am not positive. I think these fund are look at in a similar fashion to charities. I am sorry that you have to go through this. If not having your daughter in the hospital wasn't stressful enough. I will also ask some friends of mine who have a baby with Mito disease. I am positive that they are in the millions with her care so far. Hang in there. I will get back to you if I find out anything. I just know there has to be help.
OH boy. Where to begin. I've been keeping myself updated on little Eden's status frequently since I learned about her. I've prayed and fasted with you all and I really feel I need to share this with you (and I guess everyone else who reads your blog!!). My daughter Jordan is handicap and has also had a lot of surgeries. NOthing like Eden has going through though. But we've had to deal with insurance stuff and all of those worries.
You need to look into CRS (Childrens Rehabilitative Services). It's WONDERFUL. It's not far at all from Phoenix Childrens. It's right at St. Josephs on 3rd Ave and Thomas. Jordan's neurosurgeons suggested we apply and we were accepted because Jordan has multiple conditions that are automatic qualifiers (spina bifida, hydrocephalus, and more...). After I read this post I went to their website (http://www.crsphoenix.org/index.htm) and looked up the conditions that are automatic qualifiers. Congenital Heart Defects is one of them. Now, they have a lot of stuff that also might exclude her but my guess is that you'll be accepted. They cover ALL of Jordan's medical bills that have to do with her condition and aren't covered by private insurance, they've paid for her wheelchair, leg braces, and all sorts of other stuff. Jordan is also on ALTCS. We really like that too. She gets all her therapies covered and we have a support coordinator that makes sure we're being taken care of. And since they're with Long Term Care, they really give you special care. You can call your caseworker about anything and they'll get right back to you. We meet with her every 3 months to keep her updated on how Jordan's doing. They also can set up nursing respite care for when Eden is out of the hospital but is still on lots of meds. It's difficult to keep that all straight when you're in charge of giving it to her round the clock.
Anyways, I REALLY hope this helps. I think Eden will be accepted and it really makes life a lot easier. They have all the different specialists you need to see and I think they're even contracted with some out of Phoenix Childrens (our Urologist and Opthomologist are...).
Please feel free to get in contact with me. I can tell you the process we went through to get Jordan on so you won't be wondering what to do. tmbr116@aol.com
Be strong. The Lord is with you all. I'm sure every time you look at Eden you know that. What a blessing she is.
Traci
It's a good thing you posted your worries about insurance, Keisa because that is how other people can help you who have been through this. Traci gave you some great advice - I hope they will accept Eden - you have enough stress and don't need to worry about this on top of everything else.
Our prayers continue for Eden - and for YOU! Take care of yourself and let me know what I can do to help.
Love, Karen
WE have been out of Eden's loop for about a week... we are so excited to check in on her and find out that she is doing well - WOW... that little girl has a firey spirit in her. LOVE it!!!
What a sweet ward member. I love the way the Lord blesses us through others. I am sorry that her scar is rough, but am grateful little Eden continues to be doing well. She is in our prayers every day! We are rooting for you guys!
Emily and Mike
I know we do not know each other. Your website was sent to us to pray for your family. Our son was born with a sever heart defect and also pulminary hypertenstion.
Corbin is now rejoicing with Jesus until resurection. When I read your insurance panic issues I remember clearly that worry. I wanted to tell you of our experience. Corbin spent over 11 months in the hospital, 9 open heart surgeries, several times on ECMO and other machines. Like you we only had a 1 and 1/2 million lifetime max per person. When we looked at the hospital bills we were terrified as his bill was 2.3 million in bills. Yet, thankfully the insurance company paid out 1.4 million and it was all paid for. So what we learned is that you have to look not at the hospital bills but at what the insurance pays and go by that number. I don't know if this is helpful but I so understood the panic and it was hard trusting God during that time.
Praying for you and for sweet Eden.
Eden should beable to get on CRS. That is what we did for Faith after draining our savings acct within the first year. Because our income was also higher we qualified for full access rates. Which means we pay the most a person on access would ever pay. BUT STILL that is so cheap. Check into it. Here is a case workers number 602-406-6460. Im sure she can connect you with the right person.
Eden is such a little fighter!! She is such a little miracle! I will continue to pray for Eden to not pull any of her moves (infections, diarrhea, ect).
The whole insurance thing gets me so frustrated as well!! I had to go back to work full time graveyard just so I can keep our dual insurances going on Owen. We aren't close to max, but you never know. And we qualify for NO assistance due to income nd Owen not considered "disabled". The lord will continue to bless you and things will work out!!! :)
Keep up the fight Ms. Eden!!
Take a deep breath, I know there is a way to take care of insurance. There has to be. My friends son whom has Down syndrome and is a miracle beyond belief (he's lived 12 years longer than he was given) and spent a life time getting flown to the same hospital Eden is in. He also was brought back to life there a few times also. I'm going to email my friend whom lives there and see if she can help you. Continued prayers!
Post a Comment