Our weekend in the pines.
So beat! Notice that Emmy is like her mommy and takes her half out of the middle.
Our family went on a much needed mini-vacation up north this weekend and we had a wonderful trip. We left on Thursday morning, with me still recovering from a bout of the stomach flu that the girls so lovingly gave to me, and stayed until Saturday afternoon. Thankfully I was feeling back to my old self by Friday and didn't require any more Pepto Bismol. We took a ton of walks to go exploring and it was so fun to see the girls excitement at every bug and creature they encountered. One of those walks was at night with our flashlights. We also went on a short hike on Friday to Tonto Natural Bridge, which is literally a natural bridge with pools beneath. This was the girls first real experience with hiking and they did a stellar job. Ainsley decided that she likes hiking more than exploring and Emerson was just happy to be finished so we could have lunch. We made friends with some nearby horses and fed them carrots one day and apples the next. We also went on a drive and stopped dead in the road to examine a tarantula spider. I had told the girls stories of when I was a child and my mom picked up a tarantula on one of our vacations so it was "big time" for them to see one and actually see how big they can be. They acted so brave kneeling close to it to get a better look, but when it almost crawled on Ainsley, the screams began. Gotta love girls! We also drank lots and lots of hot chocolate and ate far too many tiny powdered donuts. We even shared milk shakes every day at a local 50's diner. All in all it was a super family get away and Marcus and I enjoyed so much just being with the girls. Ainsley picked so many wild flowers while there and just before we left yesterday so said that she wanted to take her little bouquet of purple flowers to Eden's grave. What a thoughtful sister as I didn't think of even stopping at the cemetery. We stopped at the cemetery so she could place the flowers and the girls told Eden all about the weekend, with the spider taking center stage. It's so hard to figure out the balance between keeping Eden a part of our family conversation and not mentioning her as much for the girls sakes. It is still so hard for Ainsley to understand that she is dead and will not be coming home to our house so we hesitate to talk about her death and bring her up too much. As we left the cemetery yesterday I told Ains to blow Eden a kiss and after she did she said, "it's not the same as giving her a real kiss. I wish she could be all better and come home to live with us because then I could give her real kisses." That broke my heart as it's so hard for her and it seems so unfair for her to have to deal with this at only 3 years old. We have decided to take weekend adventures for the next three weekends so it's "a camping we will go" next week.
I find it hard to think of what to write about now that our journey with Eden has ended. It seemed like that was all I focused on and now I am at a loss. However, when I really thought about it, I have so much I could talk about as I still have two beautiful little girls who amaze and delight me daily and five chickens that frustrate me and one husband who is the love of my life. I am so blessed so I will share it with anyone that will read. We love you all and you have changed our lives forever. Thank you!










10 comments:
I'm so glad you all got away this weekend, and are doing it again... that is probably so good for you guys...I'm sure keeping busy by filling up your time with your sweet girls is the best things for you both right now..
Always praying and thinking of you...
I am sure this has been so fun for your girls as you spend time that is dedicated to them... All of them, because we know that Eden gets to come too... She just gets to see things from such a higher veiwpoint....
What a fun trip and much needed for all of you. I've got tears after reading about the flowers for Eden. That was just the sweetest.
I hope and pray that you are all doing okay on the inside. Eden may not be here on earth but she can still move moutains.
That was a great post!! I am thrilled that you all got away, up to the cool pines, to just spend time with eachother and eat lots of SUGAR!! Those are the memories that will stay with you forever and Eden is there with you... maybe even sneaking a taste of your chocolate -- OR vanilla shakes.
Enjoy the next few weekends away and never stop posting. It's so great to hear stories and see pics of the family!!
Andrea
What a fun trip! We were right there with you and didn't even know it. We were in Pine for a family reunion this weekend and I can't think of a better place to be. It's nice to be in a beautiful and peaceful place and nice have some cool weather for a change. Natural Bridge is also beautiful. Your girls are so cute!
I am glad that you guys had an opportunity to get away and just have some fun. You guys need it after all you have been through. Thought about Eden when we were in Florence, Italy this weekend because the hotel across from ours was called Hotel Eden. I am also a chocholate fan so much so that I am going to need to go on a diet when our adventure here in Switzerland ends in a couple of weeks.
Did you get a picture of the taranchula??? yikes. I don't think I'd be standing close to it. Looks like you had fun. Great pictures.
Your journey with Eden hasn't really ended, just in the physical world. And everything you and your family does, says, feels, and thinks will be in part because Eden was (and still is) a part of your family. Your blog is an opportunity to share how life can go on, happily, even after the most tragic loss. How wonderful to see that you and your family are capable of happiness and enjoyment, still as a family of 5.
We are still here, still reading about your journey, because although Eden is amazing and forever has changed/touched all our hearts, the journey is your's too, and we love reading about it. What a nice trip! Mike and I went on a vacation awhile after Ryker passed away, and it really helps with healing. I am not a fan of spiders, and I think I would have been screaming too!
Heart hugs,
Emily and Mike
Post a Comment