THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, July 4, 2008

Letting Go

Dad here - 


Thursday we received a call from Dr. Pearl that he wanted Keisa and I to conference with him at the hospital, a phone call we were hoping wouldn't come.  The last few days for Eden hadn't been the best and she just wasn't getting better, so it was now time to make some decisions. When we arrived at the hospital and Eden looked horrible.  She is retaining so much fluid that it is seeping out her nose, eyes and she is "bubbly" out of her mouth.  Her skin is so tight now that she is oozing drops of fluid from her old needle marks.  As we spoke with Dr. Pearl he made it very clear that we have reached a point of few options.   She is now in kidney failure and is becoming quite toxic so they have her on a peritoneal dialysis.  This is where they fill her abdomen full of fluid and then let it drain in hopes of "pulling" more fluid out than they put in. In addition to this they are trying one last medicine (norepinephrine), a very powerful drug, to see if they can get her to recover.  

Dr. Pearl also started to map out a plan to assist Eden's passing, a conversation that I had hoped would never come.  We spoke about letting all the medicines except those for pain naturally run out and then removing the ventilator as the last option.  We were told that doctors do not have these types of conversation unless they feel the end is near and there is nothing more that can be done.  Needless to say, we left the hospital Thursday emotionally exhausted and faced with many difficult decisions.  

Keisa and I spoke thru the night about our blessings and Heavenly Father's plan.  We contemplated the questions we have been asking about letting her go.  We cried and held each other and I thought to myself how blessed I am to have this woman in my life, what a strength she has been to me in my life and how she is the fulcrum of our lives.

Prayer is communicating with Father in Heaven and it is real, I know this.  This being said, I think asking the right questions of Heavenly Father is essential as is listening to the answer and acting upon it.  I've been wondering for a while if I've been asking questions for something I already have the answer for.  Maybe the question isn't, "should we let Eden go?" but rather, "when ?"  

Friday morning we went back to the hospital to spend time with Eden.  She has had slight improvement, but nothing significant and more a result of the short time affect of the norepinephrine.  The mood has changed in the room.  The nurses and doctors have been so great but all realize we are nearing the end.  Despite this there is a peace and a special spirit in the room that is difficult to explain.  As hard as it is, I know Eden has put up a valiant fight and she is a choice spirit from Father in Heaven.  

Keisa and I believe strongly that having children is a partnership with our Heavenly Father. When we have children we become co-creators with the Father:  He created the spirit and we the physical body.  In doing this, we engage in one of the most sacred and spiritual responsibilities we will ever be involved with in our mortal lives.  Understanding this special relationship with Heavenly Father, how much more sacred and spiritual is working in unison with the Creator of our souls in allowing a choice spirit of Father in Heaven to return and live with Him?  

I don't know if I have the strength to let her go, but we know that we must do the will of the Father.  I thought about it more today than ever before, is there a difference between merely doing the will and carrying out my Father's will?  Keisa and I both believe we are not yet like Job, nor Joseph, but the burden the last 24 hours has been great.  We ask for your continued prayers as we prepare to say goodbye to our Eden girl.  We are hopeful things will turn around, but we both feel it probably will not happen, so we ask for your love and support down this painful road.  

We know there is a special plan to our lives.  Each of us lived with God before this life, each of us will return to live with him after this life and families can be together forever.  This life is merely a probationary state, a time to prepare to meet God, to better ourselves and try our best to love others.  Eden has accomplished so much in her little life and we know that she has a "free ticket" back to live with Heavenly Father and we will have to do all we can to be our best so we can see her again.  

We will keep you posted over the next few days and feel your prayers of strength and love.  We thank you all so much for all you have done.  




17 comments:

likeschocolate said...

As I sit here, crying, I am not sure what to say. I am not even sure I am sorry is really appropriate. What does one say at these moments and yet she still here. I think the only thing one can say is that our family with continue to pray for you whatever the outcome may be. Thank you for sharing your story with us. It has truely been a blessing to be apart of this little girls life if only through a blog and the opportunity to pray for her. Romans family

mpal said...

I so wish there were words that express the deepest feelings of our hearts and souls and also give the profound comfort people need in times like these, but there aren't any - Know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers and may they be a strength and comfort to you! We love your family!

Love, The Millett's

4 in 4 said...

We have been checking regularly for updates so we would know how to pray for Eden and your family and I thank you for this post, painful as it was to write. Tears are in my eyes and my heart breaks for you. Your faith and love for God is extraordinary. You are truly our heroes. May the peace, grace and love of God, our father, be with you now more than ever. If there was some way we could help you or be there for you, we would.

Love
Alex, David, Isabelle, Nathaniel, Gabriel & Jeremiah

Heart Mommy said...

My wish is that you will feel comforted at this incredably difficult time...We know Heavenly Father will gather Eden in his arms as she leaves yours...The Homer Family

Tidwell's said...

What beautiful testimonies both of you have of our Heavenly Father's plan for you and for little Eden. We can not imagine how difficult this journey has been and is. Thank you for sharing this incredibly spiritual journey with all of us. Our hearts go out to both of you, your extended family and Eden. We know that real peace only comes through the spirit so please know that our family is mindful of you and is praying for you. We know that Heavenly Father will take care of you and Eden. Love, The Tidwell Family

Em said...

I am sitting here sobbing. My heart aches and breaks for yours. I know all too well the pain of letting go and saying goodbye to our special angels. The spirit has never been stronger then when we had to make the decision to say goodbye to Ryker. We knew Lilly would pass away, and felt that whatever time we had with her was a blessing. I am so sorry. We have prayed for Eden, and your family, and will continue to pray for your amazing family. I wish I could give you guys hugs, but I am assured that the Lord has never been closer then he is now! We are there for you.
Heart hugs,
Emily

The Simmons Family said...

I am so grateful that you have the gospel in your lives. I will continue to pray for Eden and your family. I can't imagine the saddness you feel in your hearts. She will be perfect soon, back in the arms of her Heavenly Father. No more pain, no more needles, just PURE joy and happiness!!!

Andrea

Life Unscripted said...

As i logged in tonight I felt the strongest urge to visit Eden's page first....My heart breaks as I digest the news you just shared with all of us. You are in a postition none of us ever want to have to face but yet you face it as bravely as one can. Eden is always in our prayers as are you and your family, I pray that if it is Eden's time to be called home, she goes as peacfuly as possible back into the arms of her Father. We have never met but I just want you to know, hearing this about your precious little girl, is like taking in the news of my child...we are all a family in the CHD world....may the Lord wrap you with his strenght and comfort in your most trying times!

The McLaughlins

Meet the Smiths said...

Hello...what a journey y'all have been through and it still continues on. Im a web friend of Jenna (lily's mama)...My daughter is a CHD baby also. I dont understand why all this happens, but as you said, it is all the Lord's will. Praying for peace for your family.

Smith family

InTheKnow said...

We have come to know your family through your blog. Our hearts ache for you. I know there are no words that will ease your pain right now. Our family prays that Heavenly Father will comfort and sustain you through this difficult time. We have been through our own trial with our little girl who was born with DS and leukemia. We have a testimony that the Lord has a plan and a purpose for the trials we are given. He will support you and comfort you. Stay close to Him and know your little angel Eden has touched more lives than you can possibly know. Thank you for sharing such a sacred time of your lives with us.
Love,
The Seeley Family
www.caringbridge.org/visit/rachaelseeley

Holly said...

I am so sorry to hear about the situation you guys have been in these past couple days. The two of you are such examples to all that read your blog. Your faith and strength are outstanding. I know the Lord has his plan and little Eden is prepared for whatever it may be. She is such an amazing little person and has touched so many lives. Please, please let me know if we can do anything. Your family is in our prayers.

WheresMyAngels said...

I'm so sorry. I was praying that Eden was meant to be here on earth. I can't imagine how painful all this is for your family. You are all in my prayers.

C and T Orvin said...

We feel that we have all been blessed by the wonderful example of strength, determination, and faith that Eden and you guys have shown to us the past few months. Please know that we are thinking of you guys during the next few days. You and Eden are in our prayers. Know that you are surrounded by people that love and care about you and your family. We wish that we were there to help out. Casey will be home Monday if you need anything...blessings...
whatever you may be in need of - The Orvins

Ryder Family said...

We feel saddened to hear about little Eden. We will continue to pray for her and your family. We pray that Heavenly Father can bless you all with comfort that he will take good care of Eden if she does go home. If you need anything, we are here and ready to help with whatever you need
Love,
The Ryder Family

Linnea said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now...I stumbled upon it once and now have to check on it daily...I am crying reading this, even though we have never met. It just shows how special this little girl is and how many lives she has touched already. I am praying for peace and comfort for your family. And, thankful for the eternal gift your family has, knowing you will be together alwaays no matter what happens.

Anonymous said...

Marcus & Keisa,
Thank you so much for sharing this part of your lives with all of us. Your family has been in our family's prayers for quite some time. Your strength has helped others get through hard times. Sometimes we feel so helpless, but in reality, prayers help the most....we love you guys.
Sean & Shari

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for those Eden leaves behind, but I know your faith will carry you through these rough tides. What amazing people you are and how blessed we all are to have followed Eden's fight. She came here to make us all better people, and I hope we make her proud. God bless you and I am grateful for your little angel who can now help me take care of my little girl.