THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Big Picture

My husband is a very special, spiritual man as you might have read and I am so blessed that he is not only my best friend and spouse, but the love of my life as well.

The question of the day...Why does life have to be so difficult? and why for so long? Just a thought as I sat with Eden today and she continues to fight and struggle just to survive. Don't get me wrong and please do not get the wrong idea from my words, but she is having a rough time. We are two weeks post-op and her doctor are no longer telling us that she is doing better than expected. Over the weekend she really stopped making any progress and has regressed a little in their eyes. She is retaining more fluid than right after surgery and she is still unable to ween down on her medications so that her heart can function more on it's own. Over the weekend her white blood cell count (indicator of an infection) went way up. It should be in the mid teens and hers is at 44! They have sent cultures away from every port imaginable and everything is negative so far and they do not think she is septic right now, but no one is positive what is causing this. She is not febrile (feverish) rather a little cool. They continue to treat her for a bacteria in her ventilator tube and are now adding another antibiotic for a possible fungal infection. The Infection Disease doctor said he would keep us informed if anything starts to grow. We have been septic once before and I so hope that does not happen again. They tell us time and again that the more time a patient stays in the ICU the more prone they are to different infections. She is still heavily sedated as she does not maintain her stats when she is awake and upset. I know this is so hard to understand, but there are no other options for her right now.

I had a very long, frank discussion with her intensivist today and it was good, but heavy. All of her doctors feel that she had a good heart repair, but she still has a severe case of diastolic dysfunction. Imagine that your heart is like any other muscle and needs to contract and relax. The contraction phase of our heart is the systolic portion and the relaxation phase is the diastolic period. Her systolic or contracting period has improved since surgery, but her diastolic or resting time has not improved at all. This would be like us contracting our bicep muscle nonstop without a rest, it can only contract for so long. She is on two different types of medications to help it relax and we are finding that when the try to ween from those, she struggles. This all goes back to the hypertrophy or enlarging of her heart due to how sick it was. Her docotr told me today that signs of diastolic dysfunction are fluid retention, especially in the face and blood pressure issues. Both of which pertain to Eden. As far as the other systems in her body: her heart I explained, her lungs are still very sick and she could possibly struggle with chronic lung disease, her kidney levels are elevated, but they have been since the get go, her liver enzymes are also elevated, but her liver is still getting rid of her body's toxics and her bone marrow is not able to make new blood cells because she is so sick. Hence all of the transfusions. Yes, I really went for broke on my questions today! My question then was, "Where do we go from here?" She said that we have to find out and treat her elevated white cell count and in a couple of weeks if she is no better than she is now, we will all have to reevaluate. We feel like they are doing everything they can to make her better, it just concerns them that she is not progressing any longer. It is hard to imagine that a parent would have to ask these kinds of questions and really think about what we will do if...?

Eden has a long, difficult recovery ahead of her, but if anyone can do it I am confident that Eden can. It always amazes me that although I am at my breaking point with inner turmoil, as soon as I enter her room I am filled with a very calm, peaceful, loving feeling. I pray daily that the Lord's sweetest angels are attending her right now and giving her the comfort that I can not always provide. Her doctor on Sunday said that she is truly a miracle to have made it this far and she is my hero.

10 comments:

Karen said...

She's my hero too, Keisa. I visited her yesterday and she is a beautiful baby - she tried to open her eyes to look at me, but couldn't quite do it. I felt the peace in her room that you're talking about. My prayers continue for her and for all of your family.
Karen

4 in 4 said...

Keisa, thank you for the update, as hard as it was for you to write, and even harder to deal with, to be sure, but for those of us who are not close to the situation, it would be easy for us to assume: "No news is good news," so I am grateful for the update so we know how to pray for Eden and your family, yet heartbroken for her continued struggling and your suffering as a parent. Please know that she and your family are always in our prayers and minds. Notwithstanding your inner turmoil, your outward strength is remarkable. You are my hero!

Life Unscripted said...

Oh how I feel your pain and frustration. You feel you take 3 steps forward and 4 steps back. I know that feeling as you sit there and watch you child stuggle while being awake and you are torn between wanting to see their eyes and smiles and doing whats right and keeping them sedated. I have wondered the very question you have asked the doctors...Where do we go from here....It is a scary question to ask, and one I have yet to be brave enough to ask. God is with Eden, he is with you and your family. He is with Lily and us, and every other child and family that is ill. He truly eases our burdens when we ask...right now I think we both need a peace of mind. Give your precious baby Kisses for us and know you all are still in our prayers. God Bless.

Jenna and Family

likeschocolate said...

Lets just hope that Eden is doing things in her own time frame and in the end will show everyone wrong. We will continue to pray for her.

Unknown said...

Hang in there you guys. I love what you said about Eden's sweet angels in her room that you can feel as you entered. I felt that when I was in there too, and that explains it perfectly. I am so blessed to know Eden, and your amazing family. Know that you are still in our prayers.
Love you,
Summer

Em said...

I am sorry that this news is such heavy news. The only comfort that I feel that I can say is that there are many praying for Eden and your special little family. I know that the Lord is so mindful and is watching over you, and truly is closer now then you ever thought possible.
Heart hugs,
Emily and Mike

WheresMyAngels said...

I don't know what to say. I don't think there is much I can say except know that we are thinking and praying for all of you.

gramyflys said...

We probably need to be asking ourselves what it is that the Lord would have us be learning from Eden and her situation? Total, unequivacal trust in Him, perhaps? You have provided the best care possible and given her all of yourself. She continues to fight a good fight. Now it seems that she rests in the Lord's will and we must trust His divine judgement for the outcome. Our prayers for you will be constant, and our thoughts always good and happy ones. You are all truly amazing. Love, The Emigs

Angel said...

We are continuing to pray for Eden everday and the rest of you. We will be heading off to Idaho on Friday, but I know we will be kept up to date with Bob and Kathy. Give all three girls a kiss for us, and know we are praying for her to fight the infection and continue on an upward recovery. Much love, Angel, Mike, Cade, and Liliana

Avery said...

Oh Keisa...We pray for you all so hard. I am sorry for such difficult news, it is heartbreaking to think of all she continues to have to go through, and all you have to go through because of this as well. Sometimes, many times, I wonder why all of this happens, and I still don't know why, but know that there was a plan laid out from the begginning. We are blessed with such special spirits and I know she is being taken care of always.. We love you guys and pray for comfort to continue through this.