THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, July 11, 2008

The Morning After

As with most experiences and challenges in our lives, there is always a morning after!

Despite how painful it is and how much it hurts to have our sweet Eden pass away, Wednesday's memorial service was a most lovely, beautiful tribute to her life.  It continually amazes me the impact one small baby had on the lives of so many.  I have asked myself countless times since her passing, "Do I live my life in a way to impact other people as my Eden did?"  There were over 300 friends, family and acquaintances in attendance and I think that all there were able to feel of Eden's sweet, valiant spirit.  It was so hard to see her small casket and kiss her soft cheeks for the last time, but I know that I will see her again and that I will always be her mommy and that gives me strength to get through each day.  The days following her death are somewhat of a blur and for those who have lost someone close to them might remember, I felt like I was wrapped in a warm, cuddly blanket and I have no doubt that feeling was the Lord pouring down His love on me.  I keep praying that the Lord will not leave me alone yet as I am not ready to stand on my own.  

I could not believe how much there was to plan for the services, but it was nice in a way because it kept us occupied without too much time to get lost in our thoughts.  Yesterday however was different.  I woke up with no agenda and no planning and it was rough.  I still walk around in a fog most of the time and I have never been so indecisive in my life, but one day at a time is all I expect of myself right now.

It was a beautiful day on Wednesday, hot, but that is normal for Arizona in July.  There was a slight breeze though that made sitting outside at the cemetery a little more bearable.  We started with a small family viewing and a family prayer.  We gave each of the grandparents a moment to share their thoughts at the viewing and that was so special.  We also spent just a few moments with Eden with just our little family.  Each of the girls received a new, white lamb as a gift and we put Eden's in her casket with her.  The girls also gave her a nightie (blanket) and a binkie.  I wrote her a note and gave her a ring that my mother gave to me when I was a young girl.  Marcus wrote her a letter as well and gave her a beautiful crystal three heart pin that he pinned to her dress.  We had her dressed in a pure white dress with white tights and little white booties.  She also had a lovely white hair bow and a pearl bracelet that one of our dear friends made for her.  She truly looked like a princess!  She was wrapped in a white blanket with her name and birth date embroidered on it.  I will never forget how absolutely wonderful she looked.  We then went into the church for her services.  I have included the programs for all to see.  They printed half with one photo and half with another as I couldn't decide between the two.  After the memorial we greeted and thanked everyone and headed to the cemetery.  Once there we had a short graveside service where Marcus said a prayer to dedicate the grave.  We also had 50+ white helium balloons with silver strings prepared and each person at the grave held a balloon and we let them off all at once.  As you can see from the photos, it was such a special experience and beautiful sight.  We wanted to shift the focus from the casket and grave upward to heaven.  We spent the remainder of the day with family and friends.  The day was not without it's crazy moments.  Emerson woke up that morning with diarrhea and vomiting.  She also had a fever.  Poor girl was a bit miserable all day as we drug her from event to event.






I am overwhelmed by the love and support we have received throughout the last week.  Thank you all for your sweet comments and kinds words.  They uplift us and strengthen us and when I have moments of heartache I read them for comfort.  I wish I could send each of you a personal thank you, but please know that we love you and thank you and you will forever hold a very special place in our hearts.

22 comments:

Gina and the Gang said...

I don't know how a family that I've never met can take up so much space in my brain, but you have! I thought about your family as her service was taking place, and keep checking the blog, wondering what you are doing at certain times of the day. Your strength and courage amaze me, and your willingness to share the details of this heartbreaking experience is something I can't quite put into words. Everything looked so beautiful...you did such a wonderful job. Just know that Eden will continue to touch our lives, even to strangers in smoky California.

Anonymous said...

I don't know your family personally, but also came across your blog from someone here at work that shared it with me. As a mother of 2 beautiful girls, I can't even imagine enduring the pain and suffering that your family has endured over the past 4 months. Your simple words, courage, strength and experiences give many you don't even know hope and a feeling of inner peace. You are an increbily strong family that I am only left to admire. May God be with you and give you peace each day. Baby Eden was such a beautiful baby. I loved her pictures. As others have said, I too have been checking the blog multiple times a day to check for updates of any kind. You and your story have touched so many! God Bless You.

4 in 4 said...

Keisa and Marcus,
What a beautiful tribute to Eden, a beautiful baby in every way. Your family has been constantly in our prayers, prayers that cannot be said without shedding tears. Having lost many people closse to me, including a fiance, but never a child, I cannot imagine the pain and grief you are experiencing, but I know how those days after, "the morning after" is always the hardest--when everyone is gone, when the "celebration" is over, when people start to forget. Please know we will not forget you or your family or Eden. May God continue to be with you and grant you the peace and comfort you need during this tragic time.
Love
Alex, David, Isabelle, Nathaniel, Gabriel and Jeremiah

Diana said...

My heart goes out to your family. Though I've never met you, your faith and strength touch me deeply. Thank you for sharing your hearts. I am quite certain that many others have been touched by your examples and have been able to feel our Heavenly Father's love through you.

This post especially pulled at my heart strings. It brought back so many precious and sweet memories of my own. My very much beloved grandmother passed away nearly 5 years ago after a very long illness. It was so hard to watch her suffer for so long, yet even when she was so ill, she still kept on touching people's lives. She was my hero! Her favorite color was pink, too :-).

We, too, sent up 50 white balloons in her honor at the cemetary. It was a sweet and precious time for everyone. To this day, whenever my daughter gets a balloon from somewhere, the first thing she does when she gets home is kiss it and send it up to Grandma.

Rainbows are also something that hold special significance to our family. Long story short, it has something to do with that old song "I'll Build You a Rainbow." My grandfather built us a beautiful one the day of his funeral and has continued building them for us ever since. They always seem to come at the times we need them the very most.

When my grandmother passed away, we were actually all a little bummed to be greeted by a crystal clear blue sky on that beautiful September day. After all, everyone knows that rainbows don't appear in clear blue skies!

But we were mistaken. When we developed the film after the funeral, we found the most amazing picture I've ever seen. I felt impressed to share it with you as soon as I read your post. I've really debated about it since. But, I learned long ago not to ignore those promptings. So, here it is – 100% completely unaltered. I hope it works! I wish there was a better way to share it!

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa292/ukis4us/Photos%20to%20Share/?action=view¤t=BalloonsInSunRight.jpg

Indeed – Grandma found a way to build us a rainbow, even on a crystal clear day. She once again proved to us that miracles don’t operate according to the laws of science. They happen according to faith. Grandma also loved children. Next time you feel your sweet Eden’s spirit lingering near, whisper to her to go find Gwen and Tony. They’re master rainbow builders and I have not one shred of doubt that they’ll teach your sweet baby all she needs to know to be able to build them for you.

Diana said...

Ugh - it looks like the link doesn't work. If you can't view the photo and would still like to see it, feel free to email me at vorderbinnen@gmail.com and I'll email it to you.

~Jenna~ said...

How I wish I could have been there to meet you both, unfortunatly I did not have babysitters for all of my kids so I chose to stay home then to venture out with all 3 of them. Please know you all will continously are in our prayers. My grandmother told me the other day while I was talking with her, that every day gets a little better, you realize the pain will never go away, but you adjust your life to an everyday schedule and try to come back to the everyday normal your life once was. You always will stop a few times a day to think what life would be like with your loved one gone, but you just ask the Lord for strength and you remember that only your time left on earth is that seperating you. She said it makes her days easier to get through. (My papa passed away 3 years ago almost 4 now) Just know, we are all storming the heavens with our prayers for you all. Sending our love and a big hug.

The McLaughlins
Jenna and Lilyana

WheresMyAngels said...

I keep trying to type different things but nothing sounds right. Thank you so much for sharing the day with those of us whom could not make it. What a beautiful and moving pictures.

May God keep you strong!

Susy said...

Keisa,

Your family has been on my mind oh so much. I wish I knew the right things to do or say to offer any kind of comfort for you. I just want you to know that you are an amazing family. You have strengthened my testimony, and I am so thankful that you have been willing to share your story. Eden will forever be your family's angel. I love you and pray that the Lord will continue to send his most gracious blessings your way.

Love,
Susy

Allison said...

MUCH love to you Keisa.

Allison (Emig)

C and T Orvin said...

We were just sitting here thinking about little Eden and then our thoughts shifted to you guys. We really do feel for you and the anguish that you may be feeling at this time. You may not believe this but it gets easier. Somehow knowing that the ones you love are taken care of by your Heavenly Father will calm your hearts and feel your mind with pleasant memories of them. Eden was a precious little girl and we want you to know that she will hold a special place in our hearts forever.
I am having a hard time writing what I am feeling...since I can't quit crying...
What a beautiful day Wed. was...
If you two need anything at all please call - Casey & Tiffany

Danielle said...

Ridgway Family,
As I read your entry, tears came to my eyes. You are one strong family! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. May Heavenly Father continue to bless you!
Love,
The Lattas

The Simmons Family said...

I am so sorry to have missed that beautiful celebration of Eden's life! Your family is amazing!

Andra

Anonymous said...

I agree with so many of the other blogs. Words just don't come easy at a time like this. I have just sat here at my computer looking at your blog and I am amazed at your strength and peace. Having two new precious granddaughters of my own, all I can do is Praise God and yet feel so sad for your family. I found your blog after going on the Branton's blog, and I've checked it daily for updates. Thank you for sharing your world of pain & hurt with us. May God continue to give you strength each and every day.

The Boltz Family said...

I want you to know how much I wanted to be there to share in the beautiful tribute to sweet Eden, but I did not have a sitter for the kids. You were constantly in my thoughts as the day unfolded. Thank you for the privilege of meeting her. I am so very lucky. Heidi

Kelley said...

Your description of her funeral was so moving. My little girl Molly passed when she was 4 months old and we sent up 120 balloons for every day that she was with us. We continue to send up balloons every year on her birthday. We also saw a rainbow on the morning of Molly's funeral. No one can ever convince me that it was not a sign from her that she was fine and waiting for us. It is not an easy process to move on without your loved one, but the faith of being with them again really helps us to put one foot in front of the other. Eden was such a blessing, and I know that Eden & Molly are waiting in Heaven for their families. Thank you so much for sharing Eden with all of us.

everything petersen said...

I have wanted to say something to you guys, but for some reason I have been blank with words. You have been on my mind everyday, I have been touched with your story of Eden. It's as I can feel her spirt as I would read your blog. It really makes me appricate my family and also the plan of our Heavenly Father. As you know He loves us (you) and will always be there for us, as we grief over things that are so dear to us.

Are prayers are will you, love Bonnie

♥ Michele ♥ said...

I have been so saddened to hear of the loss of your little sweet Eden. What a powerful testimony you have given in your posts. Very inspiring. I pray that you will find some peace and comfort over the next few months. May God's choicest blessings be upon your family.

Michele
Gracie's mom

Brittany said...

I don't know if you have come across these quotes yet, but I would like to share them with you:

"The Lord takes many away even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on this earth. Therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil and we shall have them again. The only difference between the old and the young dying is, one lives longer in heaven and eternal light and glory than the other, and is freed a little sooner from this miserable world." -Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Preceeds the Miracle. p. 103

"When a mother is deprived of the pleasure and joy of rearing her babe to manhood or to womanhood in this life, through the hand of death, that privilege will be renewed to her hereafter, and she will enjoy it to a fuller fruition that it would be possible for her to do here. When she does it there, it will be with the certain knowledge that the results will be without failure; whereas here, the results are unknown until after we have passed the test." Joseph F Smith, Gospel Doctrine p 453

I too lost my baby about a month ago to the day you lost yours. I am so sorry you have to bear this sorrow. It comes and goes. You will have good days and you will have bad days and then you will just have "days." Try to stay in the present, the past hurts because that is where our angels are and the future hurts because that is where our babies won't be. Know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry for the long post

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Em said...

My heart is full. I do remember the blanket feeling, after losing our babies and throughout the days after till they were buried. When Ryker passed, I felt both he and His sister Lilly with me, and I even remember when I knew they were gone, but the assurances that they would be back. I still feel them, and am grateful they are allowed ti remain close. I loved the way you celebrated at the burial. Gazing towards Heaven, it truly sounds like a book, or one that should be written. I miss Eden, I miss the posts of how she was doing. It is hard to let go. I know the days, weeks, and months are hard, but I know too that time does soften the pain. We feel such love for your family and truly wish we could have been there.
Heart hugs and prayers,
Emily and Mike

Pat said...

Dear Keisa, Marcus and girls,
How sorry we were to hear about the passing of your little Eden. I am so sorry that we were out of town for the funeral, I thought about you often on Weds. You are such a special family, I have so admired your strength and your unconditional love through all this. I hope better days are just around the corner...Phil and Pat Stapley and Megan

likeschocolate said...

It is amazing how one little girl who I have never met and her family have touched my life so much. We have prayed for your family these last couple of months and will continue to do so as you go through the next couple of weeks and months as Heavenly Father heals the hole that has now been left in your heart. Thank you for sharing your story and Edens story with us. I am amazed at your strength and courage. We really have been blessed by her short life hear on this earth.