THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Extubated Once Again

I am VERY happy, but unfortunately a little guarded as I say that Eden is extubated once again.  


They took her breathing tube out at about 1 pm this afternoon and she is still holding her own without it.  As we all know by now, she struggles to breath on her own and she is having a little difficulty, but nothing to make them put it back in at this point.  In preparation for removing it, they turned off her feeds this morning and stopped her Versed (drug) drip.  Once they got the tube out she was pretty agitated and they said that it could be because she was hungry and wanting some drugs.  Unfortunately, most of these little babies go through some degree of drug withdrawls since they are medicated so heavily for so long.  She doesn't really know how to calm herself right now since whenever she is upset they give her something.  It's sad to see, but the reality of open heart surgery for a newborn.  Her first blood gas following extubation did not look too great so they put the cannulas in her nose to give her some supplemental oxygen and they also put her on CPAP, which helps inflate the lungs to their fullest, I think.  Her last gas looked a little better though and they said as long as she either stays the same or improves they will not re-intubate.  If her gases start to get worse, it is a possibility.  I am hoping that we do not get a phone call tonight, that would be good.  I have so much faith and confidence in my little Eden and I know that she can do it.  I am working on positive thinking only.  Other than this, she is doing much the same.  I am told that they have a little yellow bow in her hair today so I am going to snap some "glamour shots" tomorrow.  I can't believe I haven't seen her for 3 whole days.  I am dying to kiss her face and talk to her and maybe even hold her.

Emerson is doing better, but this bug is a nasty one.  Her fever has finally subsided and she is through vomiting, however I am hesitant to jump right back into eating and drinking although she cries for food and more water.  That is by far the hardest part of having a vomity child is to tell them they can't eat or drink when they don't understand why.  I hate it!

We appreciate each of you for continuing to remember Eden and our family in your thoughts and prayers.  They really do work wonders.  Pray that she will be strong enough to breath on her own indefinitely.

0 comments: