Do we have another runner/sprinter in the family?
Of course I say that only jokingly, but Eden has proven to be a sprinter today. After not doing so well on her first attempt last night, she passed with honors this morning. They put her on a 2 hour sprint with the ventilator turned off and she went past the time. They turned the vent back on shortly after 2 hours to let her rest, but they were so impressed. She kept her respiration rate in the 30s-40s and that is very acceptable. They also did a blood gas after and it came back good as well. They started her on another sprint this afternoon at 4 pm and this one is to last four hours. It's just about 8 pm here so I am dying to call and find out how she did. We spoke with Dr. Pearl today and he does not want to do anything too quickly with Eden so they are going to leave the tube in tonight and possibly tomorrow and do a few more sprints before removing it. They also took a few viral swabs just to make sure that she does not have any infections brewing. My thought is that they want everything to be nearly perfect before extabating her because we know how sensitive her respiratory system can be. She is still doing well with her feeding tube and it might be soon that she can have my breast milk once again. I sure hope so as my deep freeze in the garage is nearly full and I've had to juggle my food elsewhere to accommodate the milk. She just might be drinking mommy's milk until she's a teenager! Remember that she got Chylothorax after surgery and they had to take her off the milk and put her on Vivonex. They will wait at least 6 weeks and then check if her lymphatic system is healed. It could be as long as 9-10 weeks though.
Now for the best news of all. I spent the last two days away from the hospital and with Ainsley and Emerson. It was so needed for all of us! They are feeling the effects of the stress and anxiety and I could tell that having mommy home ALL DAY was a big treat. Anyway, one grandmother each day went to be with Eden and they were able to hold her!!!!!! Can you believe it. She has not been held since Easter. I am so happy that they had that time to love on her and I am SO EXCITED to hold her tomorrow. I just might not come home until very late because we have a lot of catching up to do. I feel so helpless as a mother ever since she was born and holding her will fill a big void in my heart.
I know that we have seen a miracle with little Eden's sudden progress. Dr. Lindblade, a cardiologist, came in again today and said that they just don't understand why she is all of the sudden doing so well. They can't explain it, but I think I can. It's because of all of the faith and prayers of all of you and because of the special fast and prayer day we had on Sunday. It's amazing how she started doing better on Sunday. Coincidence, I don't think so.
Marcus and I are so grateful for all of you. You are getting us through this. I hope that we have only good days ahead. It's hard to get too excited because of past experiences, but I will relish in today and go to bed a happy mommy.
2 comments:
So glad to hear she's sprinting well! I hope she is exubated soon. Sounds like she continues to stump cardiology! Enjoy holding your sweet girl ALL DAY!
Andrea
Owen's Mommy
Congrats on getting to stay home all day for 2 days! Sometimes they just need mommy time to make everything better again. I didn't even realize that other people besides parents were aloud in with Eden. She is one lucky lil girl to have such great nannas. We will keep out fingers crossed for her to keep getting better. A Plato to a healthy happy Eden.
Post a Comment