What a day we had today. I will preface this post by saying that this was one of the scariest days of my life and I may not sound as happy as some would like in this post. I am sorry, but it was very tough. Anyway, I am so glad that today is almost over and that tomorrow is a new beginning because hopefully it will only improve.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
The Scariest Day of My Life!
When I arrived at the hospital this morning, everything was going well. They did get her breast milk quantity high enough that she is off the TPN (IV nutrition) and only getting my milk. That made me very pleased to say the least. They even said that I need to bring in more milk as they are low. Since my entire freezer is almost full of it, I am glad to oblige. They also took the RA line (right atrium line) out of her heart. It was monitoring and giving her meds right to her heart so it is good to get it out. Also, since they are trying to get her breathing tube out again, they decreased the amount of oxygen in her tube. We really thought we were making progress the first part of the morning.
Then around noon, the Respiratory Therapist was in the room giving her a treatment and all of the sudden her heart stopped (she coded), her blood pressure dropped drastically and buzzers went off and everyone ran into the room. It happened so fast I didn't know what it was at first, but I knew it wasn't good. They gave her chest compressions for a few seconds to get her going again and they had to immediately increase her oxygen and give her some meds for her heart. It only lasted for about 30 seconds total, but it was enough to make me have a panic attack. For a long time after, they could not figure out why it happened. Tons of tests were done looking at every possible scenario. They finally found fluid trapped in her chest cavity that they believe was causing too much pressure in her lungs and on her heart so it stopped. She now has two more chest tubes in to drain the fluid and she was almost back to herself by the time we left.
Just to make a tense and difficult day worse, a couple of hours after her episode the little baby girl in the room next to her completely coded and they were still working on her when we left. It was so bad that doctors were running from everywhere to assist and they locked us in our room until she was taken away. That was a little too close to home for me not to get emotional.
This has been one of the hardest things I have been through and I was so ready to get off the "roller coaster" today. I do know though that all of your prayers are what get me through the day and help me to cope. I know we have experienced miracles with little Eden and I know that there will be more in the future. As difficult as it is at times, I can't let my faith weaken. I thank you all for your love and support and I ask that you continue to pray for our beautiful, strong little baby.
By the way, I hope you enjoy the photos. I couldn't get as close up as I wanted because of her position, but she looks cozy. I also wanted to show you how nicely her incision is healing and how much thinner she looks without the swelling.
Posted by The Ridgway Family at 7:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
This post is a mini roller coaster of its own. I am glad you posted this and kept us all informed but then it is so scary to hear poor little Eden coded but then she got back to herself which is good. She looks very content cuddling with her little pig(?). I hope you have a better day tomorrow. It sounds like Eden is going to do things at her own time and we will all have to wait patiently to meet her. As always you are in our prayers! We cant help but think of your family day when we feel Edens little spirit with us each minute. Call for ANYTHING!!
- the DiPadova's
You certainly don't need to be worried about keeping your posts upbeat for us! Try to write what you are feeling somewhere private. It is very therapeutic. I so appreciate just the fact that you are letting us know how things are going in the midst of your crazy lives. It is completely normal to "get emotional" considering what you are going through. We would worry if you didn't. I am so thankful Eden is doing ok now. We are continuing to pray for her and your entire family. We saw Ainsley and Emerson at the park this morning. They are so cute!
Keisa and Marcus,
I finally got your blog address from your Mom and have spent lots of time today reading it and trying to comprehend what you are going through, which is impossible, of course. What a terrifying day today was for you. I am so grateful that the results were good for Eden. We just want you to know that we are praying for all of you and know that your incredible strength and life experiences, which have taught you to feel of the Savior's love and to know of His wisdom, will somehow get you through this. We love you...Joe and Lori Emig
My sister, Katie Wilkins, made our family aware of Eden several weeks ago. She has not left our mind since. During a very difficult time with one of my own children these words from James E Faust became very dear to me. "Remember, the Lord has said, 'The very hairs of your head are all numbered' unto the Father. 'Fear ye not therefore' (Matt. 10:30–31). He knows us, He loves us, and He knows our needs."
Myself and countless others, whom you don't know, have been inspired and blessed from little Eden. We continue to support and pray for you and your family.
Keisa, you have always been a person I have looked up to. With what is happening in your life you are still someone that gives me wisdom. You have a positive look at things. Thank you. I love reading your blog. I feel like I know Eden. Oh I pray for her and also for her family for the comfort you all need.
Love you Bonnie
Marcus and Keisa, We want you to know that we are praying for your sweet family and know that our Heavenly Father is aware of all you are going through. Your faith is so inspiring. We hope Eden will continue to get stronger and that you will be comforted in your time of need. We appreciate your family and the example you are to so many. Please let us know if there is anything we can do! Love, Kevan & Diana Roth
Post a Comment